Window problem: Remove mold from the window frame
Mold infestation on the window frame damages the material and leads to health risks. But how can the mold be effectively removed ">
Stage 1: Remove existing mold from the window frame
Remove mold - react quickly
When removing mold, it is important to react early. The deeper the mold penetrates into the material, the more difficult the removal becomes. Straight wooden frames are a good breeding ground for the mushrooms, so that in case of too much infestation even an exchange of the window frame must be made. However, if you take appropriate measures in good time and professionally clean the frames, you protect the material and can eliminate the mold in the long term.
Pay attention to the safety when removing the mold
Molds are very dangerous to health. This does not apply if you live in the appropriate rooms or stay here. Especially when removing the mushrooms you come into contact with the spores and whirl them into the air in the event of an improper procedure. There is a contamination of other furnishings and you breathe the spores. Therefore, consider the following safety tips, to protect yourself, other family members, and the facility:
1. Wear suitable protective clothing that covers the body and clothing - for example, disposable coveralls, which are available in hardware stores. In addition, you should wear a surgical mask so that you do not inhale the mold spores. Gloves protect the hands and avoid contact with the spores. If these would get on your clothes or hands, then a transfer would quickly take place on all things that touch you afterwards.
2. Work cautiously and carefully - If you eliminate the mold, then you must act cautiously to whirl up as few spores as possible. For example, always use damp cloths and avoid rubbing with dry cloths. If you have a larger surface, you will need more than one cloth to prevent smearing of the mold. Dispose of the used utensils, such as towels or rags.
3. Test the mold cleanser used - If you have decided to remove the mold from a product, you should test it in a small area. Coatings can react differently to the agents, which means you should first work on a window in a targeted manner. In addition to industrial mold removers, you can also rely on proven home remedies such as alcohol or vinegar.
4. Cover sensitive furnishings in advance - Since mold spores are always whirling up, cover sensitive furnishings such as the sofa. Also, remove foods from the room as they also provide a good breeding ground for the spores.
5. Allergy sufferers and children should not be in the room - allergy sufferers and children are particularly sensitive to mold spores. Therefore, these persons should leave the room in advance and not be present during the work. If you suffer from an allergy, such as a pollen allergy, then you should have the window frames cleaned by a friend or family member.
6. Take a shower after the work - so you do not keep mold spores on your body, take a shower after completing the work. Despite all precautions, it may still have come to a transfer of spores. These not only pose a health risk, but are also transmitted to other rooms by attachment to the body.
7. Close the room door, open the window. - To prevent fumes and spores from entering the other rooms during the work, close the room door. Instead, direct the mold spores and the exhalations of the cleaners by opening the windows to the outside.
Plastic window frames - this is how you proceed in a clever way
Plastic window frames have a smooth surface. This facilitates the removal of the molds, since it is usually only superficially available and can be easily wiped off. However, in the worst case, the rubber seals may be affected, here is a distance again heavier. If you can not remove the mold on the rubber, then you must re-tighten the joints.
Wooden windows - the right approach
Due to the natural material, wooden windows provide a good breeding ground for the mold fungi. Therefore, the removal requires a greater amount of time. The more superficial the mold sits, the easier it can be wiped off. Again, use enough fluid to penetrate deeply into the material. You have to remove all spores, because otherwise it quickly comes back to a new infestation.
After removal of the mold - cleaning and airing
If you have removed all visible discoloration, then you must clean the window frames again. This will also remove invisible spores and prevent re-contamination. Since spores are released into the air as a result of the removal, you must then ventilate well. The spores settle with time on furniture and walls and can lead there to a mold. By airing, you direct most of the spores to the outside.
The materials and tools for mold removal
For example, to remove the mold, you can use alcohol. Take 70 to 80 percent alcohol from the pharmacy or the drugstore. Soak a rag in the liquid and wipe off the mold over a large area.
Tip: Since the alcohol creates vapors, use as little alcohol as possible and ensure adequate ventilation. Avoid inhaling the vapors as much as possible. Since the vapors have a high concentration of alcohol, there is a fire hazard if the amount in the air is too high. Even alcohol deposited on the frame increases the risk of fire. Therefore, wipe off the alcohol thoroughly after work.
As an alternative to alcohol, you can also work with vinegar. For this purpose, commercially available vinegar concentrate is suitable. In this case, use a cloth and soak it in the liquid. Because vinegar irritates the respiratory system, avoid excessive inhalation. If you suffer from irritated airways, then have the work performed by another person.
3. Industrial products
There are various types of mold remover available in the trade, which you can also use for removal. When describing them on the packaging, pay attention to whether the funds are suitable for wooden windows or plastic windows.
Chemicals against home remedies - what is best ">
Wooden window frames or plastic windows - who wins in the point "avoid mold infestation"
It is important that there is sufficient insulation to the outside area. The more layers the window glass consists of, the better the insulating effect. Double or multiple glazing reduces the risk of mold growth. Older wooden windows with a simple glazing or poor insulation pose a risk because the air moisture can settle on the glass or wooden window frame after cooling. In the case of wooden window frames, the fact that cleaning is more difficult has a negative effect. The mold infests the wood and can penetrate deep into the wooden window frame. Plastic is usually attacked only superficially.
Tips for quick readers:
- Use alcohol, vinegar or industrial means
- Alcohol vapors are dangerous
- air well
- avoid a new formation of the molds
- Wear protective clothing
- take a shower after the work
- Close the doors, open the windows
- Cover endangered furnishings
- Thoroughly clean the window frame afterwards
- react quickly, removing mold as quickly as possible