Descale and clean toilet cistern - 10 remedies in the test
- Free-standing cistern
- Descale and clean concealed cisterns
- Various means in the test:
- citric acid
- dish soap
- Working with a knife
- denture cleaners
- WC Fresh Duo Active Cleaning Cube
- Bref Power Tabs
- Domestos and Co.
Lime is a common problem with toilet cisterns. Especially with hard water, it quickly leads to unwanted deposits, so that the flow of water is impaired. But which funds provide a quick remedy and on what points you have to pay attention to the application ">
A calcified toilet cistern can be found in two different ways: On the one hand, the lime can cause little or no water to enter the toilet. On the other hand, it can cause problems when closing the water pipe and it flows continuously water. Both variants should be avoided, so that regular cleaning and descaling is recommended. If you work preventively, you save yourself high water costs or difficulties with the drainage. However, there is often the question of how flush-mounted boxes should be cleaned. Again, we have put together the right tips for you.
The opening of a freestanding toilet cistern is done in a few simple steps:
Step 1 - To open the box, lift the lid on the top, it is generally easy to remove.
Step 2 - Inside you will find various moving parts which you should remove. Put them in a bucket of vinegar so that the lime dissolves. You can let the components soak overnight, so the vinegar has enough time to work.
Tip: First of all, close the water supply. Often there is a corresponding tap directly to the toilet. Otherwise close the main tap.
Step 3 - Tilt the selected detergent into the cistern.
Step 4 - If you find particularly stubborn limescale, take some cloths soaked in vinegar essence and wrap them around the affected area.
Tip: If you use different detergents, make sure that they harmonize with each other and that there is no undesirable reaction.
Step 5 - Do not use the toilet overnight and rebuild the moving parts the next day.
Step 6 - To remove any residue, rinse thoroughly a few times.
Descale and clean concealed cisterns
To clear a concealed cistern of lime, you must first open it. To do this, slide the plastic cover, which is located at the rinse, upwards. She can now take off. Under the cover you will usually find an intermediate wall, which is fastened with screws. Loosen the screws and remove the wall. Now the cistern is exposed and can be cleaned.
Reinstall all components after cleaning.
Tip: Depending on the design, a procedure for opening may be necessary. You will find help in this case in the user manual of the toilet.
Various means in the test:
Home remedies are not only used for descaling cisterns but also for many other household items. Whether iron, washing machine or coffee maker, the lime is already contained in the water and therefore provides for blockages. Although the toilet cistern is the least sensitive, since there is no warm water flowing through it, but only cold, but it comes straight to hard water to deposits. The toilet flush must therefore be cleaned as a precaution.
What are the dangers of the means for the environment and humans "> PDF .
Important facts about the environmental compatibility of ingredients in the overview:
- Most fragrances are not degraded in the sewage treatment plant. They are among the most common triggers of contact allergies.
- Fragrances include, for example, cinnamal, majantol and polycyclic musk compounds.
- Antibacterial preservatives are also difficult to break down. They kill off the bacteria responsible for the degradation.
- Biocides in the detergents damage micro-organisms in the waters.
- In XXL packs environmentally harmful Rieselstoffe be used in a larger amount.
- Detergents can lead to salinisation of the flora and thereby damage it.
- Experts recommend the purchase of high concentrates and products with the lowest sodium sulfate .
One of the most proven remedies is vinegar essence. It solves even the most stubborn deposits, but often requires a little time to work. The advantages are the low costs and the quick availability. If, for example, you notice on the weekend that the water flow has worsened, then vinegar essence is often quick to hand or can be borrowed from friends. However, as it causes unpleasant and irritating respiratory gases, you should ventilate the room well and work best with the windows open.
Avoid direct skin contact with vinegar essence, as it has a higher concentration of acetic acid than regular table vinegar and is not suitable for undiluted consumption. It is a corrosive substance that produces different effects, depending on the concentration.
- very effective
- also dissolves stubborn deposits
- more environmentally friendly than many other means
- develops vapors, so air well
- corrosive depending on the concentration
Citric acid is also one of the effective and popular home remedies. It is used in much the same way as vinegar essence and combats the deposits effectively. If one compares the two effects with each other, then one finds that both procedures are to be recommended and both home remedies, depending on their concentration, give very good results. A big advantage is that they are natural substances that do not pollute the water sustainably.
- in a pure form relatively environmentally friendly
- wear gloves
- works corrosive and requires safety measures
Tip: In the meantime, various industrial products based on citric acid are offered. These are easy to dose, but also contain fragrances that can pollute the environment.
Dish soap is one of the safest home remedies, but has the least effect on the lime. It mainly removes odors and dirt and can be used to clean the cistern from inside and outside. The water should be drained out of the box so you can clean it with a sponge or a brush.
- not corrosive
- available as organic detergent (based on sugar surfactants or fatty alcohol sulfates, which can be broken down well)
- only against contamination
- You have to scrub with sponge
Tip: Make sure you choose the ingredients carefully to choose eco-friendly varieties.
Working with a knife
If, despite the means used, it is not possible to remove particularly stubborn calcium deposits, then you can resort to harder methods. For example, use a blunt knife or a screwdriver to gently remove limescale from the Styrofoam float or in the inlet. Be sure to scrape off the deposits without damaging the material.
- removes stubborn deposits
- Risk of damage
- Risk of slipping and injuring yourself
- suitable for coarse removal, the "fine grinding" must then be done with a sponge
Tip: Protect yourself with suitable gloves when working with the knife.
Another popular home remedy is denture cleanser tablets. They are also readily available in many households or available in stores at reasonable prices. Put about 5 tablets in the toilet cistern and let them work overnight. After a short time a bubbling occurs and the tablets begin to dissolve on contact with the water. Removed parts can be soaked in parallel. Take a bucket and mix water with some tablets or another home remedy, such as vinegar essence.
Tip: When removing the components later, be careful not to come into contact with the liquid. Always wear gloves and work with tongs. Then rinse all parts thoroughly so you can touch them again.
- easy in the application
- Plastic containers may be slightly discolored in some products
- must not be touched
- harmful to the environment
In the trade, various Kalktapps are offered, which were designed primarily for the dishwasher. But even in the toilet cistern, these products can do wonders. Use the tabs according to the instructions given, as they may have different concentrations. Also, avoid contact with the tabs, as they quickly start to dissolve and become corrosive due to the moisture on the surface of the skin.
- often already in the household
- effective with lime
- often resolve harder than denture cleaners
- Harmful effect on the environment, so pay attention to the exact ingredients
WC Fresh Duo Active Cleaning Cube
If the home remedies are not effective or if you want to use special remedies right away, then the WC Frisch Duo Active Tapps are especially practical. They are suitable for both the water tank and the toilet bowl and are therefore a worthwhile investment. The water supply to the bowl improves, and when used in the toilet bowl, you also ensure that the drainpipe remains free of blockages. When decalcifying the toilet flush, proceed as follows:
- for cleaning you only need one cube.
- put this with the foil in the toilet box.
- Film dissolves and the containing active ingredient combination with citric acid spreads in the box. At the same time you perceive a fresh scent and the water turns blue.
Tip: Place the cube on the opposite side of the water inlet.
The tabs are relatively low dose, but also have a corrosive effect. Always avoid contact with the eyes, mouth or skin. Wear protective clothing if necessary. The active tabs are easy to use and are mainly used as a preventive measure. They are therefore a suitable means and ensure freshness and cleanliness in the water tank. The opened pack can be easily stored in a safe and dry place.
Tip: Make sure that children can not gain access to the tabs. The remedies are highly corrosive.
- can be placed in the container with the foil dissolves
- good smell at the same time
- Content must not be touched
- harmful to the environment
Bref Power Tabs
The tablets are placed in the toilet flush and act immediately against various deposits such as lime and rust. They leave a pleasant fragrance and are gentle on materials. However, even these tabs should not be touched with bare hands as they may react with the skin surface. Especially useful is the possibility to use the Bref Power Tabs both in the toilet box and in the toilet itself.
- can also be used in the toilet
- gentle on the material
- more expensive than Tapps for denture cleaning
- Contain environmentally harmful fragrances
Domestos and Co.
Domestos is primarily used to clean the toilet flush. Even if no or only little lime has formed, it can lead to unpleasant odors, which can be very persistent. Give plenty of Domestos active force gel in the box and let the agent interact. In addition, use a brush to work with soiled areas so that accumulated bacteria and other odors can be removed. Rinse vigorously. Compared to more aggressive agents, the effect on lime is reduced, however, the detergent is relatively gentle to the material and leaves a particularly pleasant odor.
- pleasant smell
- good cleaning effect
- contained fragrances damage the environment
- primarily for cleaning and less against lime
- You must work with a brush to remove any stubborn deposits
Heavy duty detergent is suitable for odor in the cistern. It fights bacteria and is therefore used in soft water, which produces no or only a few calcium deposits. Put some of the detergent in the box and mix the liquid with a stick. Then let it work for about 3 to 4 hours and use a brush to work on persistent areas. Rinse now.
Tip: Since it can lead to the formation of foam, you must pay attention to the correct dosage, so that no large increase in volume arises. Pay attention to the instructions of the detergent.
- cheap and already available in the household
- Volume increase by foam - carefully dose
- You have to work with brush and scrub
- harmful substances enter the environment
Tips for quick readers:
- Toilet cistern needs to be opened
- Opening the toilet flush: Differences freestanding models / concealed versions
- Vinegar essence is very effective
- Use citric acid
- work with the window open
- Use denture cleansing tablets
- chemical products from specialist retailers
- clean the toilet as well
- do not come into direct contact with the means
- Descale especially with hard water
- Pay attention to the selection of environmentally friendly products